This past spring, I went with a group of friends to Disney World in Orlando (yes, all these friends were over the age of 8). Going to Disney as an adult was something I hadn't done before, and I was excited to get there and re-live the magic of Disney.
You observe diferent things in Disney as an adult. We zipped back and forth from ride to ride collecting "fast passes" (they allow you to come back later rather than wait for hours on end to ride), while weaving through the masses of strollers, characters, and small children. We also kept an eye out for "leash children," a common site in Disney, as well as kids throwing massive temper tantrums (take a regular toddler/small child, throw in a huge sugary lollipop, souvenir toys for sale galore, a little heat, long lines, and a lot of walking and you get monumental temper tantrums!).
Another aspect of Disney that we enjoyed as adults were the adult beverages, namely the beers from around the "world" in Epcot (or in my case specifically the mango margaritas in "Mexico"). Each day, regardless of what park we spent our day in, we ended it in Epcot, wandering around, having some drinks and enjoying the various countries' atmospheres and food.
There are, however, some things that don't change in Disney, regardless of age. I'll start with the bad ones: the long lines, the cramped walking spaces, the heat, the strollers that are waiting to trip you at each and every turn, the endless walking, and the often-times outrageously high prices on everything from a tiny Mickey keychain to a bottled water. Now for the good things: the overly-friendly staff, who called the girls on the trip "princess" even though we were all obviously older, the over-the-top scenery and rides that have the ability to make you feel as if you are in another world, and the feeling you get that magic may just exist after all.
We had such a good time and I really hope I can go back soon. Disney is without a doubt one of the best vacations at any age, and even if you're an adult, you get to be a kid again.
No comments:
Post a Comment